Friday 9 June 2017

Ever thought of what it would be like to live in the 50s?

You may not know that I was actually not born in Australia. In fact, I only moved over to Melbourne when I was 11 years old (10 years ago). Having moved countries meant leaving family and friends behind to a new and clean start.

Although some people may find it hard to be so far away from family, it also brings such an excitement and a chance to allow them to be part of your new environment when they come over to visit! One of my favourite things to do is to actually show people around.... hmm maybe I should be a tour guide.... yeah I don't think so!

The greatest thing about living in Melbourne is being to go to places which are overflowing with history. Learning about what took place years and years back at the very spot you are now standing on, is actually one of the craziest feelings ever. And my favourite place to experience that would have to be Sovereign Hills in Ballarat.

Even though I have been to Sovereign Hill at least 4 times, I would probably still go every time I get asked because it is so rich in history and traditions.

Sovereign Hill is basically an open museum where the site and era of the  discovery of gold took place. The main street used in the 1850s has been reconstructed along with the buildings and equipment.




 














P.s. they actually let you and teach you how to dig and look for gold! 

How cool is that?!?!






While strolling down the main street, you will see ladies and gentlemen of the 1850s going about their day. Whether it'd be playing music with mates, working, being at the pub, finding gold or getting arrested, this theatre packed town will make you feel like you have been dropped in the middle of the 1850s with no choice but to try blend in!

The activities are incredible. Speaking to the goldfield characters, you learn what it was like for someone like them back in day.






My favourite part of the trip was definitely getting to have a chat with the characters and learning a bit more about them.






AND LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST... do not.. and I repeat do NOT forget t grab yourself a packet of their delicious lollies!!!

I'm pretty sure I spent over 15 minutes choosing the right combination for me!


Overall it was actually such an awesome and very successful day as I did not step in horses poop at all! Yay me!

Everytime I go is like the first time as there are so many things to see and learn! Other things like I didn't mention earlier are tours which are really worth doing and presentation worth watching!

Have you ever been to Melbourne or are you from Melbourne? If yes, what are your favourite places to visit? But if Melbourne is on your bucket list, please ensure that you leave a day for you to go to Sovereign Hill because trust me, you will not regret it!

Lots of Love,

Karine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and for commenting! I read and will reply to every single one! Please leave a link to your blog and I will be sure to check it out as well! :) xx